Forum home Plants

Acer

My acer doesn't seem to be producing leaves accept one lower branch. It used to be in a pot, but we planted it into the flower bed a few years ago and its always been fine despite it being a windy garden. Is it beyond help?

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,576
    No.  Patience needed and maybe a long, slow, deep drink if it's been dry as well as windy.   I have 5 or 6 of these loosely grouped against a wall so they are sheltered from hot afternoon sun here and one of them is only just thinking about budding up.   The others have foliage showing in various stages of development but none is yet fully in leaf.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • I hope so as it is a lovely colour,  just seems odd to have some leaves opening on a bottom branch but elsewhere buds not opening at all and not very well formed, will have to wait and see I guess
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,576
    I've got that on one or two of my other shrubs and assume it's to do with the cold spell and the winds.  Will just have to wait and see but I did go round and give them all a good drink earlier on this pm.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Yes will do the same and hope for the best, will look to replace at end of May if no change by then I think 
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 907
    My acre is also not in the mood yet. Tight buds all along the stems but it’s definitely in a sulk with the cold winds this last week. I’m sure it will come along when it feels like spring is here to stay 😊 
  • Hope so!! Wouldn't be as worried if it weren't for the one branch where leaves are opening