Forum home Plants

Dahlia - Happy Single Kiss

TheScottishGardenerTheScottishGardener AberdeenshirePosts: 62
Calling on seasoned Dahlia growers or anyone with experience growing any of the "Happy Singles" or more specifically in my case - Happy Single Kiss.

I am trying this variety for the first time this year and potted them up on 3rd March. I have nothing. Absolutely nothing. I have x6 2 litre pots filled with a tuber in each, I covered with compost and have kept inside my lesser used patio door ever since. So it's getting daylight all day, but not direct sunlight, and it's certainly being kept warm.

Before I start digging them up to see what's going on I just want to see if anyone has any experience with this variety, am I being impatient? Are they slower to grow?

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    How warm is it inside your patio door, might you say?
  • TheScottishGardenerTheScottishGardener AberdeenshirePosts: 62
    @Fire well the doors are part of my kitchen/diner. It fluctuates between 18° and 21° on average. Definitely doesn't fall below 16°... I'd know about it! Our heating thermostat is set for 21° so I would say it's unlikely that it goes above 21° often, either.

• Mrs_GrohlMrs_Grohl LondonPosts: 13
    I have this dahlia - bought last year from Sarah Raven and left out all year (London so am crossing fingers and toes) and as far as I know they wouldn't be up yet. Arent dahlias usually a fairly late plant? I wouldn't have bought it until at least May and it didn't start till June. Ahead of my bigger ones but not this early. 
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    Have you misted or watered them? Mine never come to life without some moisture. 
    edited April 2021
    @Mrs_Grohl
    Ah hello!
    Doesn't it look beautiful? I also picked up my tubers from Sarah Raven... maybe it is that they are later to bloom which is fine, but I don't even have signs of shoots yet? I dunno I just would have thought I'd have seen something by now, but maybe my expectations are indeed too high.
    I'll try and be patient for a bit longer before I start digging them up to check them out.

@Posy yes I gave them some water when I first potted them up and have been misting occasionally since. Conscious they don’t like too much/not enough water. 
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,975
    I would have thought they'd be up by now. I potted up my Dahlias around then if not slightly later and they have made about 4" of growth, I've even taken cuttings from them.
    Okay.. I swear when I checked them this morning there was still nothing and I’ve gone and looked at them again this evening and... we finally have something! Isn’t that typical?

So my lesson is, this variety is slowww, and of course, patience DOES pay. I am glad they are in fact happy after asking myself this question for a week or so now, and wondering if I’ve gone wrong somewhere. I am excited to see these in bloom now ☺️ Thanks all for your comments and suggestions. Hopefully this may help someone else out there some day.

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    There you go, they heard you!
    @Posy that always seems to be the way 🤔 thanks a lot ☺️