Forum home Plants

Eucalyptus - will it come back?

Ruthie_QRuthie_Q Posts: 25
Hi there. Looking for some advice, pls. We inherited a eucalyptus when we moved here. The house is 15 yrs old or so so i guess the tree isn't much younger than that. After 6 years of trying to keep it at a height that didn't involve step ladders to trim & it looking a bit of a mess we decided on some drastic action & we took the top off late summer. We are currently looking at a 5ft trunk!!!! Will it re-grow or were we too drastic. I have googled and seem to get mixed info. We live in NW of England. We have no sign of life at the moment but its still a bit chilly up here. Thank you 

• Loraine3Loraine3 Posts: 552
    Give it a bit more time. It should grow from the trunk. 
  • Ruthie_QRuthie_Q Posts: 25
    Yey!!!! @Loraine3 we've got teeny tiny sprouting going on....... 🥳 
  • Yes it will re-grow. Even if you cut the stump to ground level it will regrow into an attractive shrub IMO. The roots will be fairly substantial though.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,463
    Having cut eucalyptus to the ground before, I agree, it will sprout and grow back. You can  cut it down every two to three years with loppers if you want to keep the juvenile leaves.
  • BiljeBilje Posts: 725
    I'm in NE England not far from the coast. We've had a eucalyptus for about 30 years ours grows on a 4 foot mini trunk. It gets cut back to that every early March.ie we remove most mainbranches. It happily grows back every year. New foliage is much nicer than the old, I don't think mine is making any growth as yet. We shred the pruning for a path, it smells lovely.
  • Ruthie_QRuthie_Q Posts: 25
    Thanks all for your feedback. I'm quite giddy that its coming back. @Chris-P-Bacon they are substantial but luckily no where near our house.