Forum home Garden design

Pond dimensions

AHRAHR Sheffield Posts: 361
good morning 

im currently digging a pond and want to check the dimensions before I line it. The pond will be mainly used for gold fish and some plants around two edges. The pond will be rectangular in shape. 

Current dimensions are -
L 200cm
W 150cm
D 100cm
theres two shelves along the two ends making the middle square. The shelves are 40cm deep. 

Does this sound good or do I need to go deeper anywhere? 

Thanks

Andy

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    edited April 2021
    That seems deep enough but if you are a fan of digging you can always go deeper at one end like a swimming pool, sloping it down as it's easier to line that way. 
    If you are thinking of keeping koi a proper pond for them is around 7ft deep. 
  • AHRAHR Sheffield Posts: 361
    Brilliant thank you. I ended up keeping one of the shelves quite shallow so that and creatures can get in or out. Just need to buy the liner now. Any recommendations on where to purchase and what grade? 
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    The best liner is a butyl one as they are more flexible and easy to repair if you need to but obviously cost more.
    Can't remember where I got the last liner from, probably from somewhere like world of water or ebay but it wasn't butyl but had a 25 year guarantee and was brown in one side  and black on the other why I don't know as the liner gets covered in muck over time but it was tricky to fit and never looked very good with too many creases and large folds so did regret not getting a butyl one. Might also be that I had a very straight sided pond at the front and curved at the back and I had lined the front cement blocks with polystyrene to protect the liner 
    Don't forget underlay as well. 
  • AstraeusAstraeus SheffieldPosts: 313
    EPDM liner is very well regarded. It's what we're opting for in our new 8m2 pond. Once coupled with underlay, most places sell it with a lifetime guarantee. It's cheaper and more flexible than butyl. Pondkeeper, AquaLiners Direct, Swell and Pondliners Online are all fairly well priced against the competition.