Forum home Plants

Shrub I.D. s Please

2»

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 25,361
    Doesn't look like the buds opening on my cotinus coggygria whose leaves are smoother.

Have to be patient and wait and see.  Same here.  All sorts of shrubs in pots and in the ground now with labels gone and buds so late it's hard to tell who is who.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,282
    The previous owner of my garden thinks it might be a Cotinus Grace, but she is a bit unsure...
    "To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 4,677
    I think it could be a cotinus coggyria too, the backs of new leaves of my royal purple look fairly deeply ridged, like in your buds -  sorry for the mostly out of focus photo, it’s a bit breezy!

• D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,282
    Thank you for looking @Nollie. I have looked again this morning, still very tiny buds, but the leaves as they unfold are not looking anywhere near as red now....more of a tinge of red on a green leaf. So tiny and with the frost damage still hard to see. 
    "To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 28,117
    The previous owner of my garden thinks it might be a Cotinus Grace, but she is a bit unsure...
    I think the previous owner is correct.
    Devon.