Forum home Problem solving

help! squirrels!

How do i stop squirrels from eating up my garden? any natural repellants? any tips welcome. Thank you!

• B3B3 Posts: 16,998
    What are they eating? 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Everything - the plants, flowers, the soil, the compost, and just simply destroying all the plants by jumping on them all the time!
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 27,618
    air rifle and a steady aim
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 68,165
    A Jack Russell will do the job ... but they come with their own needs, which might be seen by some folk as drawbacks 😉 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• cowslip2cowslip2 Posts: 135
    We have recently trapped one, and took it fourteen miles away to release it.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,531
    edited 12 April
    You have broken the law, assuming that you live in the UK.
    Please read this carefully:
    Anyone who live-traps vermin in a 'humane' trap immediately becomes responsible for the welfare of the trapped animal.  You need a licence to transport a trapped rodent and a licence to release it back into the wild.  If you do use a trap like this, you could try contacting a local animal welfare centre or vets, as they will probably have the licence required.
    'Humane' traps are an advertising gimmick and the responsibility you automatically gain when you use one is never mentioned by the sellers.
    I don't like having to repeat the above every so often on these threads, but it seems most folk are unaware of their responsibilities under law.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • PoppypussPoppypuss LancashirePosts: 79
    Try giving them their own feeding station. They are fun to watch and could get so fat on easy nuts that they’ll leave your bird feeders and bulbs alone. 
  • Forester_PeteForester_Pete DevonPosts: 110
    Try a stuffed Pine Martin, or a life size picture of one. If I was squirrel sized I would be scared stiff too. 

Pie is good idea too...
  • SophieKSophieK Wimbledon, LondonPosts: 237
    I feed the local squirrels with peanuts in a very squirrel friendly bird feeder. They happily come and go all day to eat and have left my bulbs and plants well alone.
  • GreenBeeGreenBee LondonPosts: 8
    Joe on Twitter in 2020  Squirrel feeder Squirrel Picnic