Forum home Plants

Sweet Juliet

MrJones99MrJones99 Posts: 35
Is there a climbing form of this fabulous rose?
Thanks.

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,475
    Tagging our resident rose guru @Marlorena
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 4,656
    Oh ok.. thanks @K67

..no, there is no climbing form as such, but as with most Austin roses of this height, they can usually be trained as short climbers.. I've done it many times... they just need a support structure and minimal pruning.. topping out at about 6 foot, sometimes more, it depends on the rose.. 
  • MrJones99MrJones99 Posts: 35
    edited 12 April
    Hi Marlorena. That's surprising, but good to hear. I have it as a very large 'bush' and it's scent is truly amazing. I'd love to be able to train a new one on a 7 foot pillar. From a large planter tub though. Do you think it's feasible? It's habit seems to be that it needs a lot of space. I'll attach a picture of the two pillars on my gravel patio. If it's not suitable, can you please suggest a few heavily scented alternatives? The scent of Sweet Juliet or similar preferably. Thanks. I hope to install a rope swag between them in the future. Not essential though.
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 4,656
    @MrJones99
    ...yes it's feasible, but I wouldn't bother with the swag because it's unlikely Sweet Juliet will make that length, unless it's just for decorative purposes - it can look nice... but the post height is doable from a large pot..

..it's out of stock at the moment, and I should warn that David Austin is downsizing their roses, and I'm not certain but this may be one that they may not stock in future.. it was introduced in 1989 so well out of patent.. they usually retire them before now.. which means it may be hard to come by, but we have to wait and see, it may come back in stock and then I've written nonsense but, don't be surprised..

...for an alternative I recommend 'Bathsheba'.. which will easily reach top of your post. They grow it in a large pot at DA gardens to 6 feet or so, on an obelisk.. that's how I grow it here... from a pot you should get it to the top of your post... it has a fabulous scent and large blooms, similar colour to Sweet Juliet...  it is flexible and easy to train..

Whichever rose, you should keep the tallest canes with only minimal pruning, allowing them to ascend gradually, but you can prune some lower canes to get blooms low down..  tie in firmly to the post as I do here with the obelisk..
    ..this is 'Bathsheba'..

..this Spring, trained straight up, tied in tight.. and close as possible..

• MrJones99MrJones99 Posts: 35
    This is really helpful. Thanks Marlorena. It looks as though Bathsheba is a safer bet. In your opinion, would you pair it on the other post with same or different? I know this is a matter of personal taste. 🙂🌱 You've been most helpful.