Forum home Plants

Cold frames, fully glazed?

Aaron 583Aaron 583 Posts: 95
Hello, I would really appreciate some help, I’m looking at buying 6 by 3 ft cold frames but I’m not sure if I should go fully glazed with it. Can anyone offer some advice, is it a waste?

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,018
    Not quite sure what you mean by fully glazed, do you mean the type of glass ?

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,712
    I think fully glazed means glass sides as well as lids.
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 2,436
    Cold frames are glazed ( or plastic ) front, back, sides and top.  That's the idea of them. You need to be able to open /close the lids according to your needs.
  • Aaron 583Aaron 583 Posts: 95
    Yeah sorry, they’ve got tantalised frame with only the lid glazed or fully glazed all around with lid. The company is Woodpecker joinery. Would fully glaze suit where you’re looking to start off seeds early or can you achieve the same with a wooden box and sloped glazed lid - the typical cold frame as I see it?
    edited April 2021
    Ah right, sorry, l understand now 😊.
    Personally l prefer the fully glazed ones, better light and you can always use fleece for extra protection. 
    Woodpecker joinery is a good firm, l'd be very tempted if l had the money. They are beautiful but l see they're saying a 10 to 14 week lead time on coldframes. 
  • Aaron 583Aaron 583 Posts: 95
    Missed the boat this year so have made a shockingly bad makeshift thing to see me through. I’m hoping to get a top quality one installed later to see me ‘out’ so to speak.
    Long as it does the job that's all that matters  :)
    I'd get that Woodpecker order in ASAP though .