Forum home Plants

Daffodils

SimplyKjSimplyKj Posts: 11
I potted lots of minature dafs in pots earlier this year, which are almost at the end of their flowering.  I want to re-use the pots but have no idea what I need to do with the bulbs, so that I can use them again next year.  Can someone help me please

• PianoplayerPianoplayer Posts: 624
    Hi - you need to:
    1. deadhead them
    2. feed them with liquid feed once or twice so that the green leaves build up the underground bulbs for next year
    3. once the foliage has died off (c. 6 weeks after flowers have gone over), you can lift up the bulbs and reuse the pots
    4. let the bulbs dry a bit, then put them in a dry dark place until replanting in Sept (eg wrapped in newspaper or a paper bag)
    5. remember to label them!

• SimplyKjSimplyKj Posts: 11
    Thanks, thats a GREAT help.  Can I lift them all out really gently into other pots to do that, they look real crap with all the flowers all shrivelled
  • D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,953
    I always lift mine out and put them out of sight somewhere to do there 'thing'. I not usually very gentle either.  :blush:
    "To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin
  • PianoplayerPianoplayer Posts: 624
    Yes, I know what you mean about them looking unattractive! The key thing is to allow them to die down naturally, as it is during this phase that next year's flowers are being developed in the bulbs. So transferring them to other pots is fine.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,690
    For next year it's a good idea to get some basic plastic pots that just fit into your decorative pots, then plant your bulbs in those so you can swap them in and out easily.
    Thank you so much everyone for your advice - most helpful 😊
  • I was advise also like piano player said it’s best to let it die back naturally. Mine were gifted to me cause bought my first home, been in my new house couple of years now. Their in pots and had no flowers last year as I had them in the wrong place, so I move them couple of months ago that’ll get the sun. Yesss I have blooms this spring and not only that I notice this, this afternoon. 🤔 amazing looking bloom too.
    Beautiful :)
  • These daffodils came from the pack, quite surprised by this lovely bloom I have.
  • I also grow in plastic plant pot liners so they can be swapped out as one dies off an another comes into its own. You can also plant out in the green as a clump if you prefer.