Forum home Plants

Freesia identification

Hi. Can anyone help with accurate identification of 2 Freesias? They were bought at different times as Freesia lactea or Freesia alba, but I understand these are the same species. However two clearly distinct colour varieties exist. One is milky or creamy white with yellow markings. The other is more of a 'clearer' white but with a strong purple flush to the outside of the corolla and less yellow inside. Images of the inside and outside of both flowers are included. Can anyone please help with identifying both varieties? Many thanks in advance. 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,580
    The RHS website says alba is a synonym for lactea which has the purpley shading
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/114275/i-Freesia-lactea-i/Details

If you search that site for freesia alba it come sup with this - https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/303181/i-Freesia-laxa-i-var-i-alba-i/Details which is a different plant.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thanks for that quick response Obelixx, particularly the first link, which does look very like my purplish backed flowers.

The second link, however, refers to a different plant which I also have - Freesia laxa alba - which has differently shaped flowers altogether. The plant with milky white and yellow flowers in my photos is not Freesia laxa alba. It is very definitely similar to the purplish one - just a different colour.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,580
    I know.  I was just showing what you get with the two names.  Maybe your yellowy one is a hybrid between a yellow flowered freesia and the lactea form.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thanks yes. When I type 'Freesia lactea' or 'Freesia alba' into Google images it shows both colour forms. But they are so distinctly different in colour (personally I prefer the milky white one) that if the purplish one is true F. lactea, then hopefully it will also be possible to put a name to the milky white / yellow variety. I appreciate though that that can be a big problem with hybrids! Cheers Obelixx :)