Forum home Garden design

Soil preparation for flower beds in newly landscaped garden

Hello Community - 

I'm in the process of remodelling my garden. This includes demolishing a garage and filling in the space. About 3/4 of the space will be turfed and the remaining 1/4 will be flower beds.

The groundworks team are contracted for the garage demolition, in-fill and turfing.  There will be two, eight metre long flower beds either side of the garden.

One side of my garden currently looks like this (because will all love a good project!):

The rubble will be cleared and new topsoil will be imported to support the turf but presumably I need to go a bit further than this to prepare the flower bed soil?

The garden is south facing.

The plants we're planning to put in the beds include:

Pennisetum Rubrum, and Japanese pink pussy willow as structural grasses....

For trees, dotted around the fence/hedges: Dwarf Fuji Cherry, Wisteria Amethyst Falls, Weeping cherry 'snow showers' (a grafted short variety)

Flowers include:
Tree hollyhock 'blue chiffon'
Double early and double late tulips, in pink/blue
Snapdragon 'night and day' and 'admiral white'
Lavatera 'bredon springs'
Blue allium
Honesty
Hydrangea 'ophelia'
Delphinium 'dusky maidens'
Kolkwitzia amabilis
Rosemary 'prostratus group'
Russian sage
Viburnum 'Charles Lamont'
Ceanothus thyrsiflorus
Coloured heather
Dark Angel Red hydrangea

Then for ground cover:
Phlox 'clouds of perfume'
Creeping thyme
Mexican fleabane
Roman chamomile
Campanula portenschlagiana
False shamrock
Lambs ears

Advice on flower bed soil preparation would be greatly appreciated!

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,701
    You might want to make more well-drained areas for some of those - Russian sage (Perovskia), Ceanothus, chamomile, thyme and lambs' ears (Stachys lanata) all prefer a sunny well-drained spot. Some of the others like more moisture, so you might want to check out what conditions each of them prefers and prepare accordingly (more manure/garden compost for the ones that like it more moisture-retentive, maybe some grit for the ones that like it free-draining).