Forum home Garden design

Ideas please for a low maintenance garden

Following advice on here I have created two gravel bed gardens - what other advice can anyone give as to what other forms of Low maintenance gardens can be created as I am getting too long in the tooth to do as much gardening as I used to do 

• AconiteAconite Posts: 19
    personally I would go for some raised troughs - easy to attend to and can get to the middle easily - also easy to attack weeds etc . 
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    I don't know the size or any information about soil etc in your garden but I always think of conifers as low maintenance. Carol Klein on Gardeners World visited Bressingham where they have one. 
    Low spreading conifers  look good with a bark mulch and helps to smother weeds.
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,783
    Keith-16 said:
    Following advice on here I have created two gravel bed gardens - what other advice can anyone give as to what other forms of Low maintenance gardens can be created as I am getting too long in the tooth to do as much gardening as I used to do 
    How many gardens have you got to maintain?
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,294
    Can we have some pictures.
  • Perennials and grasses are a good way to cover ground once they’ve developed—with the right choice of plants, maintenance is reasonably minimal even compared with lawn, and there’s not a lot of heavy lifting. But you need to choose carefully.
  • ga00ga00 Posts: 5
    Choisya ternata is a perfect low maintenance shrub. It doesn't need pruning. Aromatic, evergreen leaves and starry, fragrant flowers. One of my favourites.