Forum home Plants

Calling all Monkey Puzzle Experts

I have a lovely Monkey Puzzle tree in a 40 cm pot. I feel it is outgrowing the pot although can see any roots coming our the bottom.

It was planted with John Innes No 3 and grit. Has done well and looks really healthy. Wasn't watered over winter, how often should I be watering it during the coming months? 

Can anyone tell me best time to repot it into a bigger pot? 

I feel like I have just been very lucky with this one as it was one of two and sadly I lost the other tree early on. I am so worried about losing this one when repotting so any tips would be gratefully received!

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,149
    Hi and welcome.
    Are you intending to keep your araucaria in a pot because these things grow huge?
  • Hi there, I am going to keep it in a pot for the foreseeable future or at least until it outgrows the next sized pot. Is there a cut off point for transplantation to the ground? Or is it just what we can manage to physically handle?
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,618
    It wants to be a huge tree, it isn't a pot plant. It will never be happy in a pot. Do you have a suitable spot for it in the garden bearing in mind the ultimate height and spread of the mature plant?
  • delskidelski Posts: 274
    @jenniferlaurabell Welcome, and I'm sorry that people have chosen to lecture you on putting the plant in a pot, rather than actually helping you with the question you asked! This week's episode of GW showed a London garden with an oak tree in a pot, so don't let the comments put you off.
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,999
    A nice idea although maybe unwise with an Araucaria ! Following initial top-growth , their next trick is to produce a very strong tap-root ; this will ultimately lead to its demise as the root will physically push the entire plant from its pot , irrespective of the size of container .
    Maybe follow steephills advice and find a suitable outdoor position ; their progress can be somewhat erratic in making no growth at all some years .
    Whatever your plan of action , good luck with it !