Forum home Plants

Magnolia ID please

MsCatFlyMsCatFly Galway, IrelandPosts: 68
Hello,

I purchased this Magnolia from my local garden centre recently. I saw it and loved the colour. Unfortunately it had lost its label and the chap who runs the garden centre couldn't tell me the variety, but he did insist it's a small to medium one.
I guess it's impossible to identify the exact variety, but does anyone have any guesses? Thanks.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    It's a pink M. stellata cultivar, possibly 'Susan' but there are quite a few.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,307
    Looks very similar to my Susan, I agree with Bob.
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • MsCatFlyMsCatFly Galway, IrelandPosts: 68
    Thanks @BobTheGardener and @amancalledgeorge

I'll look them up. 👍🏻
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    edited April 2021
    If it is that hybrid, mature size is only 2.5 to 4m after 10+ years.  Lovely things. :)
    PS: they bloom a little later than the 'pure' stellatas, so have more chance of missing late frosts. 👍
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • MsCatFlyMsCatFly Galway, IrelandPosts: 68
    If it is that hybrid, mature size is only 2.5 to 4m after 10+ years.  Lovely things. :)
    PS: they bloom a little later than the 'pure' stellatas, so have more chance of missing late frosts. 👍
    I really hope so, that's the perfect size for where we're planning to put it. It's still flowering now. It looks very scraggly, about 2 metres high, it'll be a long wait for it to look like an actual tree.