Forum home Plants

Evergreen plants (in pots) for shaded patio area (max height 3-4ft)

diane.halliday18diane.halliday18 Posts: 2
edited April 2021 in Plants
Hi

We have a north facing two tier garden, with a patio on the lower level with grass and plants on the upper level.

I am looking for ideas for evergreen dwarf plants which will grow in a pot up to 3-4ft in height maximum to break up the wooden panelling under the fencing which separates the tiers  (see photo), and to make it more of a 'green' softer area, as the patio is quite large.
 This area doesn't get much sun, so the plants need to be happy in the shade. 

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Many thanks for any help.
Diane

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    heuchera
    euphorbia

• PianoplayerPianoplayer Posts: 624
    Hello. I think you already have a Pieris? They are a good choice - there are some lovely small ones (Little Heath, Katsura etc). Also, ferns, Sarcococca, Skimmia spring to mind.
  • AthelasAthelas CambridgeshirePosts: 690
    edited April 2021
    Try hellebores, heucheras/heucherellas, skimmias, evergreen ferns (e.g. Polystichum polyblepharum, Asplenium), sarcoccocas, hardy geraniums (https://www.barrgardens.co.uk/hardy-geraniums-for-containers), a small bamboo (e.g. Fargesia rufa) for height

Not evergreen, but a small acer would do well in a large container and add spring and autumn interest (e.g. Beni Maiko)

Seems counterintuitve but using bigger plants can be more impactful and makes an area more interesting than a large number of uniformly medium size plants
  • For a bit of a formal look how about a series of closely clipped Box or as an alternative (to avoid Box blight) , Ilex crenata or Euonymus "Jean Hughes"
    Pittosporum is another idea or perhaps dwarf conifers - the latter seem to be getting a bit of bad press ATM but choose wisely and they can look good in pits.
    Large (ish) terracotta pots would look good here. Choose the same design for continuity. 
  • Thank you all for your helpful suggestions, I really appreciate it.

I'm looking forward to finding the right plants with your help and having a nicer area to sit for outside dining this summer ;-)
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,783
    Dwarf Cypress Macrocarpus - lovely lemon scent too
  • sls101WaFuJCjKsls101WaFuJCjK Posts: 6
    edited April 2021
    Sorry posted in error, new to forum didn't know how to delete.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,293
     Annual Nicotiana are happy in shade, for summer colour and evening perfume :)