Forum home Fruit & veg

Grape dead?

Received this Suffolk seedless grape in the post yesterday, no signs of life, mid April, England, no buds, will it grow back from the root system?

Thanks

• steephillsteephill Posts: 1,793
    If you bought it send it back. It should never have been sent out with a broken stem like that. If you keep it then it should start to grow from the visible bud. Most of mine are still pretty dormant.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 68,173
    edited 10 April
    I think it should be fine. The untidy stem isn’t great but shouldn’t be cut back now as the sap is rising and it could ‘bleed to death’. 
    My Boskoop Glory is looking at a similar stage so nothing to worry about there. 
    And the buds that are produced from that node are just what you’ll want to start training the framework of three stems to start training it in the Double Guyot system which is the usual method of training vines grown in the open. 

I think it’ll be fine. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I think it should be fine. The untidy stem isn’t great but shouldn’t be cut back now as the sap is rising and it could ‘bleed to death’. 
    My Boskoop Glory is looking at a similar stage so nothing to worry about there. 
    And the buds that are produced from that node are just what you’ll want to start training the framework of three stems to start training it in the Double Guyot system which is the usual method of training vines grown in the open. 

I think it’ll be fine. 😊 
    Thanks, I hope so!
  • steephill said:
    If you bought it send it back. It should never have been sent out with a broken stem like that. If you keep it then it should start to grow from the visible bud. Most of mine are still pretty dormant.
    Sadly I bought it from an online nursery with questionable customer service, if it doesn't grow il contact them. Thanks