Forum home Plants

Magnolia

tmckechnietmckechnie Posts: 2
edited April 2021 in Plants
Had a magnolia yellow bird tree delivered (bare root) unfortunately the lower branch near the root was broken in transit.
Plant seems healthy, should I just remove and plant.

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    How big is the branch and what will the tree shape look like without it?
    If you didn't say anything when it arrived it's unlikely the supplier would replace it so you'll have to take it off,  there isn't another option.
  • Thanks for that, branch only 4 to 5 inches as young bare root, have cut at main trunk and planted.
  • JAC51JAC51 Posts: 155
    Be warned @tmckechnie I ordered a standard yellow bird magnolia tree in spring 2019.  Just leaves that year. My first bud spring 2020 and low and behold a dark pink flower ! Took such a long time to flower I’d forgotten who I’d ordered it from so didn’t bother to complain.  Four pink flowers this year 
  • D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,952
    I hope it's the right one @tmckechnie, it's a beautiful tree, and quite a quick grower. I took this pic from mine this week, astonishing how much it has grown in the last couple of years, it is only 10 years old. 

"To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin
  • JAC51 said:
    Be warned @tmckechnie I ordered a standard yellow bird magnolia tree in spring 2019.  Just leaves that year. My first bud spring 2020 and low and behold a dark pink flower ! Took such a long time to flower I’d forgotten who I’d ordered it from so didn’t bother to complain.  Four pink flowers this year 
    If you post a photo, maybe we can identify it?