Forum home The potting shed

New plant delivery - looks like grass?

D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,726
I have just received a plant delivery and before I telephone and make a fool of myself I thought I would just check with any experts on here. I ordered 3 x Liatris Spicata 'Kobold'. I haven't grown it before and don't know what it should look like. I know it's difficult when they are such small plants too. However, I seem to have 2 plants I can sort of recognise as being plants, although grass like they are thick blades but the third just looks like grass to me.  :confused: Can anyone clarify from the photo link. Any help much appreciated. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6iWmkDHwc9eEvphE8
"To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    Sorry, Google wants me to sign-in to see your link.  Can you post the photo here instead?
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,726
    ok will do @BobTheGardener, thank you. 
    "To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin
  • D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,726

All 3, the one on the far right is the one I think looks like grass? 

No.1 looks "plant like"

No. 2 looks "plant like"

Grass like???
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,182
    It does have a grassy appearance but I can see grass seed heads. Empty the contain DD and look for a corm/bulb

Thank you @Perki. Lower down and in the centre I have found a corn with a little (but strong) shoot coming from it, like in the other two pots. Perhaps that is just a stray grass seed that has grown in the corner of the pot. Relief, Thanks for the quick response. :)
    edited April 2021
    I think you do have the wanted plants there, but also definitely grass and also liverwort, indicating these plants have been damp for some time.  I would do as @Perki suggests and gently prise the soil apart to separate the wanted plants from the weeds.
    PS: I'd also be asking for replacements or my money back from the supplier as those are in poor condition and some may in fact be dead with only the weeds left.
    Thank you @BobTheGardener. I will re-plant them now, well all the 'good' bits anyway. They are very wet.

Unfortunately, these are plants I have bought with a credit note from a previous failed set of plants. Although customer services were very good and credited me within the hour, no questions asked, I won't bother with this company again. I would rather have quality plants than all this hassle. 

It is just unfortunate that I don't live close to any decent GC or nurseries, in fact we are more or less in lockdown here anyway with a 10km restriction on travel. Brexit hasn't helped either. 
    One other question, sorry, should I plant them in the ground now or just re-pot and leave in the GH for a while yet?
    edited April 2021
    Re-pot and grow-on is what I would recommend (and in fact have done, as I also received some 'less-than-ideal' plants last autumn.) :/