Forum home Plants

Hydrangea Health

Hello everyone, I need urgent help with my Hydrangeas! We have one older hydrangea plant that seems to be doing quite well. However we recently bought two new ones, and they don’t seem to be having the same luck. 

All of the flowers have turned brown, but they do not feel dry or brittle. The stems are still green and upright, but they seem to have tiny black spots. The leaves have turned very dark green, some seem to be blackening around the edges, and they look very droopy. My question is: have we been underwatering, overwatering, or is this some sort of disease? 

Extra info: they were repotted recently. We used multi-purpose compost from GoodHome. When we first got them the weather was sunny and relatively warm, it has now become rather cold and cloudy. We’ve been watering roughly once a week. All other flowers we purchased are doing very well. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,315
    hi and welcome to the Forum.
    My guess is that your new one was forced as a houseplant and not intended for immediate garden use. 
    It'll probably look pretty ropy for a bit but then re bud and start again as the weather warms up
    Devon.
  • Hostafan1 said:
    hi and welcome to the Forum.
    My guess is that your new one was forced as a houseplant and not intended for immediate garden use. 
    It'll probably look pretty ropy for a bit but then re bud and start again as the weather warms up
    Thank you so much for such a quick reply and for the warm welcome! Sorry, I’m rather new to all this, so if it’s not too much trouble, what exactly does it mean to be “forced as a houseplant”? Also, is there anything we can / should do help them out a bit (e.g. trimming, or some specific remedy), or is this something we just have to wait out? Thanks again! 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,315
    edited April 2021
    "forcing" is when plants are, usually, warmed and put in brighter light conditions to "trick" them to thinking it's later in the season. 
    This is commonly done to get earlier specimen plants to sell. 
    Hydrangeas are late summer flowering, not in April.
    Devon.