Forum home Problem solving

This Bamboo

Any tips on reviving this? Bought it from the local garden centre at a reduced price to try and give it done life, did we make a mistake? 

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 1,142
    Is it still in the original pot or has it been planted ?  Pot bound, lack of water, cold or hot  drying winds, change of location ?
    All or any of these could be the problem :)
  • BOTBBOTB Posts: 52
    hi, we have replanted it, it looked very root bound 😬 it’s in a pot that’s 50cm. It was very dry when we bought it. It’s over 12ft high! Paid £40 for it.
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 1,142
    If you prepared the planting hole well, teased out the roots as far as possible and gave it a good watering in, you can only wait and see.  Given the height, it's debateable whether or not the foliage will recover over time.
    You don't say what type it is but I presume you are aware that bamboos as a whole have a tendency to spread unless they are contained within a barrier of sorts - just something to bear in mind.
    Bit late now but G C's etc. are charging way too much for Bamboos these days - particularly those in poor condition.
    Good luck anyway :)
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,171
    Bamboos take at least 2 years to get established in their new home.
    Yours is a lovely one and worth giving it a go even though it looks awful now.
    It won't though like being in a small pot and if you can't get into the ground then a bigger pot and good watering will be needed.
    Watering in many garden centres is the last job and so many plants are lost.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,051
    Folks on here telling people to plant bamboo in the ground, never thought I would see the day,!!
  • BOTBBOTB Posts: 52
    Folks on here telling people to plant bamboo in the ground, never thought I would see the day,!!
    I won’t be planting in the ground, it’s staying in a pot 👍🏻 I know about the spread of most of the varieties so not going there 😂