Forum home Fruit & veg

Growing Lemon Grass

KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,265
I've been trying to get some Lemon Grass to root in water, but with no signs of any roots for 3 weeks now.  Does anyone have any tips, it's the first time we have tried growing them.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 24,318
    It needs to be very fresh in order to root.   I managed it a couple of years ago with some from a Vietnamese SM here that has a higher turnover of fresh oriental greens than the average local SM.  I kept it in a pot but it became a bit too big so I planted it out in the polytunnel last spring and it loved it and grew like topsy.

I should have harvested some and frozen it though as the winter has been unusually long and cold and it's looking very sorry for itself tho is, finally, producing a few new green shoots now.  I'll be digging it up and binning it in the next couple of weeks, but saving the fresh new growth.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • tuikowhai34tuikowhai34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 900
    @Obelixx  My Lemon Grass is the same - got devastated this winter and new shoots haven't surfaced yet.  This cold snap isn't helping.
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,045
    mine lives in a pot and comes inside as a houseplant in the winter, the cats keep it mown.. sigh but it survives each year, it's 9 years old now and still going strong.

To get one to root look for one that has been cut "long" it needs as much of the base as possible.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 27,262
    I grew mine from a stem from Waitrose. I can't remember how long it took, but suddenly a pretty fat root appeared from just above the basal plate, not from it.
    Devon.
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,265
    Maybe I’ll just be more patient with the current batch.  I’ll also see if we can find more fresh ones, although that’s quite tricky at the moment.  
  • MsCDMsCD Posts: 1
    I have just tried this for the first time and doubting it would ever work I went for a two pronged approach! I bought some lemon grass from the local fruit and veg market stall, stuck 3 stems in a glass of water 10 days ago and 2 of them are sprouting roots so far. I also bought some seeds seeds online and just followed the instructions on the pack. Id say 75% of them are growing (about 1cm tall atm). Will see how it goes, but Id encourage you to give the seeds a go. I bought them from Premier seeds direct for about 99p plus 75p ish postage. I notice they're out of stock atm but maybe they'll get more in. Good luck :-)
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,265
    Thanks @MsCD If nothing happens with the ones that are in water over the next 2 weeks, then I will probably try from seed.