Forum home Problem solving

Can someone ID this shrub for me please?

LivMarie98LivMarie98 Manchester Posts: 44
edited 8 April in Problem solving
We’ve had it for quite some years and the name has just completely gone from my mind. It blossoms some lovely white flowers.

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,254
    edited 8 April
    I'll bump you up with a guess that won't be right unless your white flowers were scented Philadelphus.
    Other wrong  possibles are spiraea or exochorda

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 27,262
    I agree with philadelphus
    Devon.
    Wow @Hostafan1 I think you have just made my day, and yes it has been an uneventful one!
    K67 said:
    Wow @Hostafan1 I think you have just made my day, and yes it has been an uneventful one!
    It was YOU who got it right.  ;)
    Devon.
    Maybe I did get it right @Hostafan1 but that's such a rarity and I am always amazed at the plants you recognise that I've never heard of so it was nice you agreed.
    K67 said:
    Maybe I did get it right @Hostafan1 but that's such a rarity and I am always amazed at the plants you recognise that I've never heard of so it was nice you agreed.
    AW, that's very kind of you to say so. 
    You'll make me blush. 
    Devon.
  • SlipperyElmSlipperyElm Posts: 145
    @oliviataylor100.......yes, it's a philadelphus  ( commonly called 'mock orange' or 'Bride's Blossom' ) .  Highly, gloriously scented little white flowers in June.  Smells like a very good fruit cocktail, pineapple, citrus, apples, banana, peach.  Lovely plant.
  • LivMarie98LivMarie98 Manchester Posts: 44
    Thank you! I think you’re both right with Philadelphus, it rings some bells and looks the same when it flowers
  • SlipperyElmSlipperyElm Posts: 145
    The scent is the key, @oliviataylor100.  It's unmistakeable.  If your shrub isn't scented, then it's not a philadelphus.  But it sure looks like one from your photo.
  • LivMarie98LivMarie98 Manchester Posts: 44
    @SlipperyElm it is indeed scented, very citrusy and lovely