Forum home Problem solving

Could someone name this tree for me please.

homebirdhomebird Posts: 105
edited 8 April in Problem solving
I bought it 3 or 4 years ago in a bundle of 10 bare root Amelanchia, all about 2 foot long twigs. This and another one have grown much faster, have greenish coloured bark and this year have developed the stumpy catkins. I wondered if they are Willow but can’t find pictures of any with these catkins. 

• FireFire LondonPosts: 8,278
    Please post a picture of leaves, bark, catkins, etc. Thanks
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 67,456
    Looks like "pussy willow" ... those are the male flowers of Salix caprea aka Goat willow.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• homebirdhomebird Posts: 105
    Thankyou Dove. I’ve just looked at photos of Salix caprea. I had ordered 4 Amelanchia and 10 bare roots came! I am quite pleased to have the willows. It seems they can grow quite big and luckily they are planted in good spots, I won’t have to move them. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 67,456
    edited 8 April
    The males have the prettier yellow 'pussy palm' catkins and are the ones to have because unlike the females they don't produce the  fluffy seeds that spread everywhere, so you have the right ones.  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh