Forum home Problem solving

NATIONAL SLUG WEEK COUNT!

Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 1,307
Bird count yes but slug count? Maybe not. 
They want to know which town has the most slugs and maybe also the biggest slug. 
Couple of prizes of garden planters for the most impressive results. 

https://www.slugweek.com/

• B3B3 Posts: 16,586
    A bit early here. 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • CeresCeres Posts: 2,038
    Mine are hunkered down in the compost heap.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,841
    Way too early here. No slug will be out when there's a risk of frost. I wonder why they chose such an early date?
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,206
    Haven't found a single slug so far this year.  I put it down to the abundance of frogs, toads and the sighting of a hedgehog.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
    This also seems to be sponsered by a company that sell slug control products and there's very little on the website about what the survey data is used for. I suspect this is less to do with biodiversity and more about promoting products to kill slugs.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,902
    edited 8 April
    @wild edges

tsk-tsk ;)

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Not too early here ( SW UK ).  I have several small pots sitting on the raised beds - pick the pots up and plenty of the small grey jobs clinging to the bases.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,450
    It's too cold and dry, here. We haven't had rain for weeks, the humidity is low and the temperature is freezing at night. Not a scientific survey, I fear.
    Reply from the marketing company that ran this (notably only sent after the survey was closed). Basically the data isn't used for anything...

Many thanks for your email. Apologies for the slow reply.

To answer your questions:

-This was intended as a fun family activity for the Easter holiday, which is why the timing was set just after Easter. We haven’t been lucky with the weather. I agree – frosty  nights and a lack of rain have not been helpful.

-We have not been collecting data for any use other than connected with the survey. The purpose of the survey is to generate some fun articles and social media posts about slugs and a secondary objective is to raise awareness of the Nemaslug brand, which is an entirely organic form of pest control.

-All information we have gathered will be destroyed when we wrap up this activity. No data will be shared with any third party.  No marketing about Nemaslug will be done to survey entrants. We purely collected the minimum data we needed to understand where the survey respondents are based, a bit about them and contact details in case they won a prize or we needed to talk to them about some publicity. All this is explained on the web page and then there are tick boxes on the survey itself.

I really hope this explains it all.  Although Slug Week is over now, if you did decide to take part, that would be fantastic.

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,450
    Heavens! Dearly as I love my children and grandchildren,  I'm  struggling with the suggestion that they would have received this as a fun idea. They are more likely to have recommended me to those men in white coats....