Forum home Problem solving

Avocado tree is trying to tell me something

I grew this avocado from a stone last year as an absolute beginner to gardening. I'm very proud but want to keep it thriving.

What do these brown patches on the leaves indicate? I want to keep it healthy and well!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 67,452
    Hi @rrrhombus  and welcome to the forum 😊 

It’s what avocados tend to do I’m afraid. Try misting the leaves a few times a week ... grouping other plants around it to keep the humidity up often helps too ... remember that their natural home is in the tropical rainforests ... they need bright light and humidity. They do best with rainwater if your tap water is hard, they need the soil to be on the dry side of moist ... wet soil will cause problems. 
    Feed in spring and summer with citrus fertiliser. Don’t feed in the winter. 
    I hope that helps 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• rrrhombusrrrhombus Posts: 3
    @Dovefromabove thank you so much for this advice, the avocado says thanks too! I'll definitely take note and help my avocado live it's best life!
     :) 
    😊 If you can use rainwater for the misting you’ll avoid getting white chalky deposits on the leaves. 👍 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• steephillsteephill Posts: 1,729
    It is a fun experiment but bear in mind that what you are growing is a tropical tree which will eventually outgrow any domestic setting. Start a new replacement one every couple of years and enjoy watching that giant seed sprout.
  • rrrhombusrrrhombus Posts: 3
    Brilliant! Thanks all for your wisdom :-)
    edited 8 April
    If you cut back your young avocado plant, and then pinch out the tips of the resulting side shoots, you will have a bushy houseplant which can look great and can be kept for years without it outgrowing the space available. 

https://www.wikihow.com/Prune-an-Avocado-Tree-in-a-Pot#:~:text=Cut the central stem once it’s%206%20inches,branches%20and%20avoid%20growing%20a%20long%2C%20spindly%20stem.

😊