Forum home Plants

Do you use the same potting mix for a plant regardless of whether the pot will be indoors or out?

I see a lot of videos about making potting soil mix for plants, but does it matter whether that plant will be kept indoors as a houseplant or outdoors? Would the potting mix for that particular plant be the same either way?

• InglezinhoInglezinho Posts: 488
    edited 8 April
    All plants need certain basic nutrients, Nitrogen (N), Phosphorus( P),and Potassium (K). It doesn't matter whether they are in indoors or out, although some require a few special additions. Some plants ie. orchids or carnivorous plants, often have their own diet. Be careful moving a plant that has been indoors,outside.The temperature shock could be significant. You may need to watch the weather forecast...Good luck!
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,207
    Ii must admit i have always used houseplant potting mix until last year when I couldn't go and get any so used multi purpose stuff I had. Plants still healthy. I suppose you could add some perlite to the mpc if you have any to make it a little more free draining especially  if you tend to over water your plants.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 67,326

A potting medium is more than its balance of nutrients. With houseplants  it’s usual to use soluble fertilisers suitable for the type of plant, and apply it during watering. With indoor plants this is more controllable than with outside plants. 

One of the important things to bear in mind when making or choosing a growing medium for indoor plants is the drainage ... epiphytes such as some ferns, bromeliads and orchids, need a very free-draining growing medium with large air pockets so their long roots can access plenty of oxygen, so  something made from broken bark is very suitable. 

Succulents however, although they need a free-draining medium have much smaller roots so require small grained gritty soil to anchor their small and finer root system. 

Plants that originate from the understory of tropical rainforests need a high proportion of hummus that will hold moisture. 

So the answer is, it all depends on the plant. 😉 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh