Forum home Problem solving

Sleeper edging on a sloped garden

Evening,

I’m looking for some advice around installing some railway sleeper edging on this bed at the back of the garden. 

As you can see, it slopes from the right (at the patio) down with the fence. Are they best laid flat to give an edge for strimming or built up in line with the fence?

Thank you in advance. 

• matt_burtonmatt_burton Posts: 2

• AstraeusAstraeus Posts: 84
    Personally, I'd cut into the ground to lay them perpendicular to the fence battens, i.e. stepped rather than sloped. I think it'd look off to have the sleepers at an angle to the square of the fence.
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 3,414
    I'm not sure what purpose it would serve if laid stepped, so I would lay on the flat as a mowing strip. Ideally I would use it as a little retaining wall to level the lawn (leaving a gap along the fence, which you could plant). In which case it would be perpendicular to the fence.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,845

It looks better stepped on a slope and would match the fence above, otherwise it looks really odd. 
  • InglezinhoInglezinho Posts: 488
    Sleepers must be dug at an angle INTO the slope, especially if the slope is steep, so that rain will drain back into the soil. Otherwise there is a danger that heavy rain will cause a waterfall effect and wash it away. Good luck!