Forum home Plants

Dicentra (Bleeding Heart) wilting

Ryan180680Ryan180680 Posts: 170
So after last nights frost my bleeding heart plants are all droopy. Have they bitten the dust and will I need to cut back to encourage new growth? Also the new growth on my Pieris seems to have been affected too. Disappointed that I forgot to cover them last night

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 3,421
    Unless they are recently planted after being grown in a polytunnel, they should be OK. No need to cover. I think it's likely they will perk up as soon as they thaw out so don't cut them back.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,868
    No, just leave them be for the time being and see what are like when it gets a bit warmer. If they don't pick up after a couple of weeks, then you could cut off the dead growth, give them a water and feed and cross your fingers. The Pieris might be slightly different in that if the new growth has got frosted, goes brown and dies, then you do need to cut that dead growth back but I would still wait a while longer.
  • Ryan180680Ryan180680 Posts: 170
    Thanks for your comments. I'll leave them be and maybe cover them tonight
  • shane.farrellshane.farrell Posts: 184
    Yeah many hardy plants sulk after a cold night. My Hellebores  were droopy thus morning but wi be fine again over the next day or so  :)
  • BusylizBusyliz Posts: 87
    I have a similar problem with mine too. Thanks for the reassurance.
  • shane.farrellshane.farrell Posts: 184
    See the post here about 7 posts down. It's Hellebores  but illustrates the point. The key is to just leave them. 
    https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1049663/garden-gallery-2021/p1