Forum home Plants

Cuttings help

I took some cuttings of my annual Verbenas, Baccopa etc however unfortunately none of them survived although had rooted well!  I have brought a few new ones now and wonder if I can take cuttings from them to have in pots this year or am I too late? Many thanks Annie

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,504
    Hi Annie and welcome to the forum
    The best time to take such cuttings are when the plants are eager to grow, so Springtime (which in theory is now, despite the temps!)
    When it's warmed up a bit and they are growing well take some cuttings, they should strike quickly

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Many thanks Pete. Can I do them now and keep them inside or do I need to wait?.... I work in a school and therefore have time as it’s the holidays.... which is why it’s gone so cold.... dont worry it’ll warm up again as soon as we go back!!! 
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,504
    To get the best chance, I'd wait until it's a bit warmer.
    But, if you have plenty of plants to take cuttings from, you could try some now and if they fail try again in 2-3 weeks

I hope it does warm up, lovely in the sun, but a bitter wind atm
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • InglezinhoInglezinho Posts: 488
    Just a wee tip on taking cuttings in cold weather.Keep them in the kitchen in good light, warm water and with a wee bit of root fertilizer - the liquid sort. Dont' plant anything outside yet, especially before potting it up. "Ne'er  cast a clout till May be out." Good luck!
  • Thank you Inglezinho for the advice. 👍 Now there’s an expression I haven’t heard for many years! 😂 my grandmother used to say it about vests!!!! 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 67,326
    And don’t forget, the ‘may’ in question refers to the blossom, not the month 

http://www.dartmoorcam.co.uk/CAM/previouswalks/2010-6-9_ColdEastCross/coldeastcross.htm

😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh