Forum home Plants

Hardy Korean Chrysanthemums

Uncle MortUncle Mort Posts: 60
I am thinking of buying some hardy Korean chrysanthemums for some late colour in the border. I know nothing about their requirements or what are particularly good varieties to get started with.

Can any of the forum members give any advice on cultivation and where to buy them etc.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,506
    I used to grow them from seed and found them easy.
    They do give a nice splash of colour in the late season too.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Uncle MortUncle Mort Posts: 60
    I assume like Dahlias slugs and snails find them particularly tasty
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,506
    They do in early Spring when the shoots are tender, but they usually pull through ok once they get going.
    They give a good range of autumnal colours.
    It may be a bit late in the season to get seeds sown now to flower this year, but they done well for me in the past
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • SueAtooSueAtoo DorsetPosts: 196
    I've recently received a couple of nice little rooted cuttings of Ruby Mound from chrysanthemums direct.co.uk . Potted them up, put in cold frame, hope they survived chill last night.
  • InglezinhoInglezinho Posts: 488
    Give them a cup of black coffee for breakfast, Wake 'em up a bit!
  • Uncle MortUncle Mort Posts: 60
    I have just ordered four varieties from Chrysanthemums Direct.

Ruby Mound

Mrs Jessie Cooper

Cousin Joan

Bretforton Road

Innocence

I look forward to seeing how they perform. Do they need growing on in pots before planting out in the garden
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 67,331
    edited 8 April
    Yes they will be plug plants and need to be grown on in a pot before they’re big enough to go out into the world alone. 

When you receive them plant each one into a 3.5cm pot and grow them on in a greenhouse or equivalent and protect from frost. 

They need to be moist but do not overwater. 

When the roots fill the pot follow the instructions at 1. or 2. on this link, depending on the variety you have 
    https://chrysanthemumsdirect.co.uk/acatalog/Quick-start-growing-guide.html
    😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh