Forum home Plants

Lavender flowering times

greenbottle123greenbottle123 Posts: 11
edited April 2021 in Plants

Hey everyone, I'm a bit of a gardening novice so I thought I'd ask on here for advice.

I'm doing a practical project dissertation for the final module of my biology degree. My research question is looking at whether common UK pollinators (bees, butterflies etc.) prefer violet or white lavender flowers. I need to collect data from June (or earlier) to early July, but I'm having difficulty identifying particularly a white lavender variety that flowers somewhere in this time period as many websites give different estimates. The plants need to be available to buy online ideally grown in 2+ liter pots and flower around the same time. Has anyone had any experience with a white and/or violet lavender variety that flowers relatively early?

So far I've identified Lavandula angustifolia 'Arctic Snow' and L. X intermedia 'Edelweiss' as potential white lavenders but am unsure about the timings.

• *Typo on 'Edelweiss'
  • rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 814
    Have you made contact with the various lavender farms that exist in the UK? Many sell plants online and using their extensive lists you should be able to identify the plants that would suit your project. 

Sorry, I don't have personal experience of growing white lavender.
  • Have you made contact with the various lavender farms that exist in the UK? Many sell plants online and using their extensive lists you should be able to identify the plants that would suit your project. 

Sorry, I don't have personal experience of growing white lavender.
    Thanks, I haven't made contact with any specific lavender farms but that's a good idea! I was a little confused since different lavender retailers seem to give different flowering dates for the same lavender variety, but getting in touch seems a good shout. 
  • edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 2,267
    The flowering period can depend on the location and growing conditions, so all info from sellers is just guidance. Angustifolia types usually flower earlier than intermedia types. But I agree it is good advice to ask someone from a lavender nursery.
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 7,138
    edited April 2021
    @dyerecho97

..Lavender angustifolia 'Arctic Snow' will start to flower from  about 2nd week June, not earlier,  and in full flush by late June/early July, continuing to late July.. here in East Anglia..

..here are 2 photos showing it with pale blue Lavender angustifolia No.9 which flowers at the same time...  I cannot tell you which gets more insects buzzing around them.. they were planted too close together and I had to separate them later..

30th June

11th July

No. 9 flowering mid June

..and late June..

I lost my Arctic Snow for some reason, so no further photos of that one.. 

No. 9 and 'Maillette', which I also have, are used for lavender oils, and are seen most often in the Lavender fields you see around the country..
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 7,138
    edited April 2021
    Oh I have a correction to make.. I have just found this photo showing earlier flowering than I said..

No. 9 starts at the end of May... I imagine Arctic Snow would be the same, but I can't remember to be honest.. it didn't survive long but that was my fault..

• edhelka said:
    The flowering period can depend on the location and growing conditions, so all info from sellers is just guidance. Angustifolia types usually flower earlier than intermedia types. But I agree it is good advice to ask someone from a lavender nursery.
    Thanks, that's really helpful!
  • Marlorena said:
    Oh I have a correction to make.. I have just found this photo showing earlier flowering than I said..

No. 9 starts at the end of May... I imagine Arctic Snow would be the same, but I can't remember to be honest.. it didn't survive long but that was my fault..

Great photos! That's really interesting to see it with the dates too. 
  • @Marlorena, I love ‘Arctic Snow’ and also your sumptuous Eschholzia...