Forum home Problem solving

Begonia non stop tubers

Hi
40 non stop begonia tubers have just arrived. It’s way too cold to plant them outside in the hanging baskets I have planned for them. I do not have a greenhouse and all suitable windowsills are already full of other plants so I can’t really start them indoors. 
How shall I store the begonias until the weather warms?
also I could start them in pots but they would have to be stored in the shed which does not have windows so no light ( unless I leave the door open) but is a bit warmer. 
It’s my first time with Begonias. Hope they look good in baskets?
Any advice much appreciated 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 17,998
    That’s a lot of corms,  you only need 3 or 4 to a large basket.
    I start mine in seed trays, just lay them on top of some compost and push in very gently. Don’t  let water get on the top of the corms. 
    I don’t think outside in a shed is warm enough yet.
    Have you got a spare table or cupboard top indoors you could put seed trays on for now.
    They really need to be got going.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Where in the country are you? If the cold spell is not too severe where you are, you could try plunging them deeply into a bag of compost. The frost should not strike down deeply enough to harm them, and the conditions should be good for them to stay in good heart until you can plant them up properly. ... Just don’t forget where you put them...
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,508
    edited 6 April
    Deleted as answered while I was writing mine!

• ShennyShenny Posts: 87
    Hi
    Thank you for the advice. I have pushed them down into seed trays and found a windowsill to put them on. As advised. 
    The corms were on special offer and are all very small, maybe just 2cm in diameter. So may have been a false economy and should probably have just invested in some good quality ones. 
    Anyway will see what happens. 
    Thanks again. 
    Those little ones will grow, next year they’ll be bigger. 

Thank you Lyn. Can I ask what will be the best way to over winter them. 
    Thanks. 
    When they have finished flowering and have died off, that means the green has gone to brown and they’ll be floppy,  I take them out of the container/basket and leave them somewhere dry to dry right off,   After that I wrap each one in a piece of newspaper and keep them in a box  indoors,  Cool room bottom of wardrobe or cupboard, until next spring,  have a look at around mid March and see if they have little shoots, if they have you can lay them in a seed tray and water lightly.  If they haven’t started to shoot, wrap and leave a bit longer. 
    When you first take them out of your baskets, do check for vine weevil grubs, also check the bottoms of the corns,  the little wotsits burrow in! 

That is very clear and easy to follow advice. Thank you. 
    You’re welcome Shenny, worked for me over many years 🙂

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,014
    I have never tried this myself, but have heard of people (another gardening mag I buy)putting them in the airing cupboard to germinate. I lay mine in a shallow bed of compost,slightly damp.  They are only overwintered in a frost free greenhouse, so its's pretty cold in there, as most are tucked away out of light in winter, why not try some in your shed, if you see signs of growth, you can bring them somewhere with more light.Unless you are very different to me, I wouldn't advise putting them on top of a wardrobe, just after Christmas Hubby decorated the spare room, there were tomatoes in the drawer I put in October to ripen!!