Forum home Plants

Austrian Clematis Seedlings?

emski_fletcheremski_fletcher Chester, UKPosts: 41
I’m supposed to be growing Austrian Clematis here but not sure if I have! Can anybody help to id the seedlings please?!

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,868
    Did the seed come from a reputable supplier?
    When I've seen clematis seed it is a small seed with a long fluffy tail.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,251
    edited April 2021
    I have some Clematis alpina aka Austrian clematis ... I can't see anything I recognise there.   

Edited to add:  well there are some weedlings there that I recognise, but no clematis.
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,314
    nothing I see there looks like anything other than weeds.
    Devon.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    Agree, can only see a selection of weed seedlings there.  Did you use garden soil?
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,703
    Some of them (the ones with the scalloped edges) look a lot like agastache seedlings, going from memory because it was last year when I grew them (I think, or maybe the year before). @Lyn sent me the seeds, so maybe she can have a look. My memory might be playing tricks. And other things could look much the same at the seedling stage, but I'd put money on them not being clematis.
  • emski_fletcheremski_fletcher Chester, UKPosts: 41
     :s what am I like! Yes used a mix of older compost - lesson learnt! Thanks for the responses!
  • emski_fletcheremski_fletcher Chester, UKPosts: 41
    The only one that looks different to the others is this one ☝️ 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,569
    Still not a clematis.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw