Forum home The potting shed

Plant for ID please

Good morning.....
I have a 'dog rose' in the back garden that has 'purple' flowers. Each year there are loads of shoots at ground level that appear around the base of the rose that I just took for general weeds. Normally, I tidy these up by digging them up or cutting them back. Being a lazy sod, last autumn, I didn't tidy up the area and now the shoots have started to blossom. Are these also dog roses? What I don't follow is the colour - I now have loads of this yellow flower now appearing. Could the purple rose have seeded from the hips and could they then be a different colour?

...and the fruit trees are in blossom - a damson really in full flow, and a cherry just starting....

...thanks in advance...
UK - South Coast Retirement Campus (East)

• Loraine3Loraine3 Posts: 400
    Your yellow flower is Kerria Japonica, very pretty but can be a thug.
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,952
    Looks like a Kerria japonica Steve
  • steveTusteveTu Posts: 981
    ...that was quick you two! Thank you. I'll look that plant up and add it to my list of 'known' plants!
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 4,534
    We need a picture,I have never seen a purple dog rose
    ..you've got me doubting myself now - and I do have the memory of a goldfish, so could quite easily be mistaken. I looked back and can't find any photos - I'll see what this year brings!
  • Loraine3Loraine3 Posts: 400
    Your 'purple dog rose' could be a rose I had in a previous garden. I always thought it was a Queen Alexandra rose which had single flowers, a very dark pink, almost purple. It grew along an iron fence.
    It's me Loraine - I am brain dead at times. I was hunting around for the plant on the web and remembered I'd posted about it here as I was asking about using the hips to flavour alcohol (I never did by the way - by the time I went to do it, the hips were a bit naff!) - I must have looked up the thing then and changed my identification to a Rosa Rugosa.

Still can't find pictures of the flowers though!