Forum home Plants

Spring Bulbs

TheScottishGardenerTheScottishGardener AberdeenshirePosts: 62
Hi everyone,

I’ve some spring bulbs that I would like to lift out of their pots once they’ve finished dying back down. I say I would like to, I kind of need to, the pots are all damaged, with one or two particularly bad indeed. 

Any other bulbs I’ve got I’ve just left in situ (the ground) so I’m looking for tips on how to store until it’s time to plant again. They’ll be going in my shed but what’s best and relatively inexpensive to use? I’m thinking cardboard boxes and newspaper. I know I need to try and make it as dark as possible but would value any other tips and ideas 🙂

Thanks in advance!

• CrazybeeladyCrazybeelady WarwickshirePosts: 611
    Newspaper and cardboard boxes is what I do! Seems to work ok.
  • TheScottishGardenerTheScottishGardener AberdeenshirePosts: 62
    @Crazybeelady thank you, that’s a good sign! 

Can I ask, do you do anything else in particular? Lay them out for a while first to ensure they are completely dry? Split them if they’ve grown?
  • CrazybeeladyCrazybeelady WarwickshirePosts: 611
    I wait until the greenery is all dead and then just wrap them straight up. I guess they're fairly dry by that point as have probably been in a pot in a corner somewhere in Summer. I don't split any, but I'm no expert, maybe you should? 
    The main mistake I make is forgetting to label what things are  :D or I think at the time that I will definitely remember what everything is and then never do!
  • I use the loose vegetable bags at 25P in Aldi. They are made from recycled plastics and very good. 
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/reusable-produce-bag/p/701878336130200
  • TheScottishGardenerTheScottishGardener AberdeenshirePosts: 62
    @shane.farrell ahhh no way, I actually have a few of those for storing my carrots and tatties in :D what a good idea. I will keep this in mind. Thanks :)