Forum home Plants

Weed seedling

PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,996
Does anyone recognise this seedling.
Leaves at this stage are about 2 cms long. the stems are slightly hariy and pinkish.
Ta.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,996
    No-one any ideas?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,271
    edited April 2021
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,082
    edited April 2021
    It's definitely going to be a climber or spreader
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    It does to me too, but there was none of that here when we cleared this area last year and there are a lot of seedlings of this appearing. Trouble is neither of us can remember what weeds there were in this section.
    Those seeds can sit in the ground and wait for you to disturb the soil ... common in arable fields ... I've hoed a lot out of rows of sugar beet.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Just been identified as Allaria petiolaris. Jack by the Hedgerow which was present in the garden and rife in the hedge rows here. Should have recognised it myself, seen it often enough.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,144
    Doesn’t look anything like that to me,  looks like Bindweed.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

edited April 2021
    Really?  Doesn't look like it to me ... we shall wait and see what happens  :)

The leaves of Jack by the Hedge aka Hedge Mustard/Garlic Mustard etc are very different https://www.fourseasonforaging.com/blog/2017/5/28/garlic-mustard-a-delicious-invasive