Forum home Garden design

Cor-ten (weathering steel)

Jack1974Jack1974 WhitstablePosts: 57
Hi all,

We're looking at using Cor-ten for paving, please see photo attached as reference.

Has anyone used this metal in their garden, I'd like to know if it gets very hot in the sun?

Our garden is quite exposed, and south facing.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,314
    wouldn't it mark the underside of shoes and risk bringing it indoors? No idea.
    Devon.
  • Jack1974Jack1974 WhitstablePosts: 57
    Hostafan1 said:
    Good point! It does run yes.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    If it's metal then surely it would get hot.
    OK if you dont go barefoot or have small children.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,328
    Hostafan1 said:
    Yes, it will and it'll stain the gravel around it as well. If you particularly want a red hue, I'd look for a stone with a similar colour mix - hard sandstones, for example. Cor-ten is better as a wall covering
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,783
    I use corten, cant imagine using it on the floor and agree it would stain the gravel
    edited April 2021
    How about these?
    https://www.pavingsuperstore.co.uk/global-stone-paving-porcelain-premium-collection-metallic-corten-steel-paving-slabs.html

Actually your photo is on pininterest under concrete stain ideas so I don't think they are steel as you can see they are thicker by the edge on the larger slab.
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    Iimagine it would stain everything and get very hot. Interesting idea though.
  • batwood14batwood14 Posts: 193
    I'd be impressed if you could afford corten steel - its damned expensive!
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    batwood14 said:
    I'd be impressed if you could afford corten steel - its damned expensive!

You can buy it industrially. I don't think it would be more than York stone etc. You don't have to buy finished garden products.
    edited April 2021
    If you want to see how the staining was done 
    http://www.lovelyimperfection.com/the-easy-way-to-stain-concrete/
     but as it's from the US I expect you can't get it over here.