Forum home Plants

Plant ID

Hi. Could someone please help identify this plant gifted to me (no instructions)! Also looks like it's dying already - been a week since I got it and flowers are turning brown. I have watered and moved it to a part sunny location. I live in London, UK. Thanks in advance!

• rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 814
    If it was scented it could be a Gardenia. Failing that, a rhododendron.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,282
    Move it into a shadier spot ... water only with rainwater ... and although most rhododendrons are hardy, as it was probably in a protected environment before it was bought, being exposed to the weather has probably been a bit of a shock and caused the flowers to fade earlier than they would otherwise - hopefully there are more buds to come. 

Plants like that one are often sold with their pots quite full of roots ... until you can pot it on I would stand the pot in a saucer to  help prevent it drying at the roots. 

The compost should be kept moist but not boggy. 

Water the compost in the pot, don’t spray water over the whole plant. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    Looks like Indian Azalea, Rhododendron Simsii, usually seen in supermarkets for sale over Christmas. They are not hardy for the average UK winter, and usually treated as a house-plant. They don't like dry and warm conditions indoors, so try to keep it somewhere cool and in moist conditions. They can be left outside in the summer months, kept somewhere shady. Can also be over-wintered in a greenhouse.