Forum home Plants

Lythrum 'Dropmore Purple' - dead or alive?

LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,964
Whenever people post things like this I always think 'why don't you just wait and see?' But here goes... One of my Lythrums has started producing new, red, tiny shoots at the base. The other two haven't - there's no sign of any growth. Is it that one of these plants was just unusually early into growth, or is it that two of them have died over winter? They were planted in Autumn and unfortunately hoiked around multiple times as I tried to get the bed layout right.

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,465
    I noticed my DP had new growth on yesterday as have two other lythrum but they are in full sun. I moved it over winter too, but it isn't a young plant.

My other two in the shade and the species loosestrife I haven't seen yet, I think they are normally a later showing plant. Hopefully yours will show soon...I'd have a poke around if they were mine but probably not the best advice ;)
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,964
    I've had a poke about. Hopefully they'll be OK, they should be very hardy, and they should be resilient to winter wet as well. I'll not rush to replace them just yet.
  • ZenjeffZenjeff Newcastle Upon Tyne Posts: 641
    I’ve got  3 scattered around the garden but only one showing here in the North East,Pretty sure the others are not far behind.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 4,041
    edited April 2021
    I was gardening near them yesterday and saw no new growth on my three but this morning, taking a closer look, I noticed two were sending up shoots.

I wish I could say the same about my salvias (East Friesland and May Night) which are more likely to be wiped out by winter weather. So far there is no sign of life
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,964
    I found the problem today: VINE WEEVILS  :#

I've washed all the soil off and potted them all up. Was able to prise off some rooted basal shoots from the healthy one and I think the other two will recover.