Forum home Plants

Coreopsis verticillata moonbeam

Can anyone please advise if this will start to regrow later in the year? I wasn’t sure if to cut it back last year so left it, anyway just read I should have and now there’s little sign of regrowth, just a bit of green at the base. Tell me all is not lost, it was such a beauty!

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,288
    It is a lovely thing , but I lost mine one winter, definitely not 100% hardy here/Hope you have better luck - fingers crossed!
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,663
    It doesn't always come through the winter here either, but they're so lovely I can't resist trying. Of the three that I bought last year, two are showing tufty green growth at the base. That's the most I expect this early in the year. I find the top growth always dies right back. I suspect the third one hasn't made it, but it's still early in the year.
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    My coreopsis verticillata 'zagreb' variety always comes back. Its now about 10cm tall so far despite a very hard 2 week freeze down to - 10, which is normally a disaster on my wet clay soil. I've lost a few other plants but mostly penstemon and Rudbekia. Maybe yours is still to appear. I would give it until the end of the month. 
  • februarysgirlfebruarysgirl LeicesterPosts: 604
    I cut mine back about a month ago and it's currently looking like this

I've only had it a couple of years and as far as I can recall, it looked like this this time last year. 
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,019
    You must be really vigilant about slugs. They will slice off the shoots and you think you've lost the plant 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,663
    I cut mine back about a month ago and it's currently looking like this

I've only had it a couple of years and as far as I can recall, it looked like this this time last year. 

My two that are sprouting look just the same as this.
    Mine usually come up darker but the same shape
  • terri_stellaterri_stella Posts: 49
    edited April 2021
    Thanks all, so just a case of wait and see!
    @Bijdezee my rudbeckia seems to have given up the ghost too, are they reliable self-seeders? Did you cut back the coreopsis?

I cut back the dead stems once the new leaves are a couple of inches high. I keep mine in pots to protect from slugs but if they're in the ground, the old stems help you  to locate the plant.
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    I was looking around for a properly white coreopsis but it doesn't seem the UK has one....