Forum home Plants

Hedgerow plant ID

turmericturmeric Posts: 706
Hello everyone and happy Easter.  I've just been out for a walk and saw this hedge.  I'm not great with blossom ID and I thought it was a bit late for blackthorn and too early for Hawthorn so I'm a bit stumped.  I think these are actually two different plants.  In the first two photos the petals on the flowers seem to be separate whereas on the other three photos the petals overlap each other at the base.  The last photo is of the hedge itself.
Any ideas anyone?  Many thanks

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 3,344
    There's lots of similar white blossom in the hedgerows and roadsides around here at the moment, which I had assumed was blackthorn being a bit late due to the cold January, so I'd be interested to know what yours is.
  • turmericturmeric Posts: 706
    I'm in the South West Jenny.  Jan was fine and it hasn't really been cold at all over winter.  I thought Blackthorn came first way back at the beginning of March so I'm hoping someone can shed some light for me (and you  :))
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 67,330
    edited 4 April
    There are several different prunus varieties that grow wild in hedgerows ... eg blackthorn, bullace, damson, wild cherry, and some crosses between them ... could be one of them. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 17,013
    The blackthorn is just coming out down here. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Thanks Dove, that's widened my choices and increased my confusion no end..! :/
    Lyn, my friend has sloes in her garden, I thought that was blackthorn. But her large shrub is really vicious with spiny thorns.  The hedgerow plants didn't have thorns at all.  Please don't tell me there are 7 varieties of blackthorn like Dove did! :D I may have to throw in the towel!
  • CeresCeres Posts: 2,025
    It could be cherry plum. It's in flower at the moment and some hedgerows are thick with it.
    Cherry plum is a variety of wild prunus that I left off my list. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thanks Ceres.  I might google this to find out more about the varieties of prunus that are out there, I had no idea.  I probably won't be able to narrow this one down but it will make me sound knowledgeable on my next walk..!

Dove... ;) I knew I could rely on you!
    🤪 🕊 

💡 @Silver surfer is very good at sorting out the different blossoms 😊