Forum home Plants

Pittosporum golf balls

shsshs Posts: 11
Hi can you advise - are pittosporum golf balls a type of pittosporum or just the way a shrub has been trained eg can I train two small pittosporum shrubs i already have into golf balls?  Many thanks 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 27,262
    shs said:
    Hi can you advise - are pittosporum golf balls a type of pittosporum or just the way a shrub has been trained eg can I train two small pittosporum shrubs i already have into golf balls?  Many thanks 
    I think they'd make V good clipped balls
    Devon.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,527
    P. Golf Ball is a newish variety that supposedly grow naturally into a golf-ball shape about 1m diameter.
    Based on that description I've just bought 12 in 3L pots so I hope it's about right :)

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 27,262
    Pete.8 said:
    P. Golf Ball is a newish variety that supposedly grow naturally into a golf-ball shape about 1m diameter.
    Based on that description I've just bought 12 in 3L pots so I hope it's about right :)

I stand corrected 
    Devon.
    Not necessarily - on re-reading the post, shs may be asking if an ordinary pittosporum can be pruned into a golf-ball, which I believe it can.
    I know there's a Pittosporum fan on here who has some cracking specimens, just can't remember their name atm....
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,265
    Yes they can be topiarised, just like Box.  We have the Golf Ball hybrid, but only a young plant.  It certainly looks the most compact of all the varieties we have, and it has the most dense foliage.  

The two ball shaped plants about half way up the photo are Pittosporum (Green Star hybrid). 

That's the ones I was thinking of :)
  • MeomyeMeomye Posts: 674
    I am keen to get a 'golfball' as mentioned @Pete.8, @KeenOnGreen,  may I ask where you ordered yours please? tia
    I got mine from Coolings Nursery when I noticed they had an early bird sale.
    The 3L plants were £5 each - so I got 12 :)
    P&P was £20 but still a very good price.
    They still have them, but at £17 ea.
  • D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,095

It was such a lovely garden I had to see it straight. :)
    "To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin
  • ErgatesErgates DevonPosts: 181
    Keenongreen, are those pittosporum on single stems/ trunks? I have some in the garden, but they are collections of multiple stems. Probably no good for trying out topiary on them!