Forum home The potting shed

Filling in large a large hole dug for a trampoline.

The previous gardener dug a hole but abandoned it. My question is do i need to remove the grass or can i just fill the hole in with top soil. I am worried the buried grass will not allow the new seed to grow. or can i just go ahead and fill it in?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    Hi and welcome.  How deep is the pit?  If more than about 20cm, the grass underneath will die and turn into a layer of good soil if you just bury it, so no issues there.  One thing to consider though is that the grass in that area will probably grow at a different rate (even if you use exactly the same seed) because the soil there will be different to the rest of the lawn, and it may always be noticeable, so perhaps widen the area and mix the new soil with the old around the edges to lessen the effect?
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,262
    I would imagine that the round area will also sink if filled with new topsoil, unless you leave it for a good couple of months to settle and then topping it up if need be before sowing new seed on top.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,615
    Sounds like the ideal location for a pond.
    Devon.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 4,997
    That's just what I thinking!
    AB Still learning

• delskidelski Posts: 274
    If you want to fill in with soil then walk on it every few inches to avoid the sinking thing previously referred to by other gardeners.
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,729
    If the pond idea doesn’t fit, you could consider a sunken seating area and fire pit