Forum home Plants

Would you ALWAYS root out Shining Cranesbill and Herb Robert?

Hi, in the garden of my new house there are quite a few clumps of Shining Cranesbill and Herb Robert.

Would you ALWAYS root them out, or are there any wildlife benefits associated with leaving a few clumps?

If I leave even one clump, will they eventually take over the whole garden?

• didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 2,594
    I leave it under a hedge which has the bins in front of it as its good for wildlife.  I have some growing under a dwarf apple tree too - but that is coming out as soon as I sort that tree out.  I pull it out of borders but leave it in these early months for the wildlife. I don't think you'll ever get rid of it entirely.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,089
    I always leave some herb Robert. Don't know the other one.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    I always take out Robert.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,286
    edited April 2021
    I leave Herb Robert in the 'wilderness' part of the garden in the spring and take it out later when there's plenty of blooms for the insects.  I try to get it out before the seed pods ripen ... I don't always succeed. 

Here the Shining Cranesbill only seems to pop up in the veg patch, so it gets hoed out with everything else (well, that's the theory anyway).  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• gjautosgjautos BuckinghamshirePosts: 372
    My local garden centre is selling herb robert! £2.99 for a 9cm pot🤣. 
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    edited April 2021
    :D:D:D

Seriously?  I see some "wild seed" companies are selling dandelions.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,089
    Leave your soil bare for a couple of weeks and they'll come. It will be full of 'wildflower' seedlings . No need to spend your money and get yet another plastic pot
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • gjautosgjautos BuckinghamshirePosts: 372
    Fire said:
    :D:D:D

Seriously?  I see some "wild seed" companies are selling dandelions.
    Yep seriously! I had a proper chuckle to myself when I saw it. Maybe I should set a stall up outside my house. £1 a pot. Freshly dug up from my beds!
  • ERICS MUMERICS MUM Posts: 561
    I can’t stand the smell of herb Robert.
  • TopbirdTopbird Mid SuffolkPosts: 7,590
    Never, ever, ever leave herb robert to self seed in a 'woodland' border thinking it will provide 'useful' ground cover in a difficult site. Only a real muppet would do that🙄 And 4 years later said muppet would still be trying to weed it out....😤

One benefit of a year's confinement - I may be getting on top of it.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down