Forum home Problem solving

Unknown invasive plant

Hello, I need some help please. I made some raised beds 2 years ago but the soil is becoming completely overrun by invasive roots, which bind the soil and stifle veg growth. Roots cut from the main system spontaneously grow again. I am lost as to how to remove the roots without having to replace all the soil/compost. The next problem is how to seal the bottom of the deep beds to prevent repeated invasion but allow water drainage.
The beds are in proximity to a large type of (I think) laurel tree (see pictures).
What can I do to reclaim my veg patch and stop the problem returning? 
Many thanks.

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,450
    I think your beds may be too close to large, established, shrubs. You could insert a barrier such as slates, driven into the soil just inside the frames at root level. I don't think a barrier membrane will be strong enough. Removing the roots already there will be a pain but not terribly difficult.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 67,459
    Those look like shrub or tree roots to me. 
    We had raised veg beds near some trees ... despite root membrane etc the tree roots found their way up into the beds, attracted by the regular watering and nutritious soil. 
    We found it simpler to dispense with the raised beds and dig a veg patch in the garden, digging out tree roots before planting ... every year. 🙄 

Eventually one of the trees grew too big and had to be felled and the trouble disappeared. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• howietribehowietribe Posts: 2
    Thanks for the messages.