Forum home Plants

Clematis question

Hi, I don’t know much about gardening & over fertilised a clematis about 3 weeks ago. The new leaves had only just started to appear and have shrivelled/dried up and there’s been no new growth. When I cut the stems they’re green underneath- is there any chance it will survive or should I give up?! 

• SophieKSophieK Posts: 244
    I thought two of my clematis had fully died and low and behold new shoots are coming out now. Don’t give up on yours yet!
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,831
    Depending on which group they are in, some will come into leaf later than others.  It's important to give them plenty of water and feed during the growing season, as they are hungry and thirsty.  Some of ours are already romping away, but a couple are only barely showing any growth; quite normal.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,020
    Water, lots of it.  15 to 20 litres at a time poured slowly so it soaks in deep.

It will help dilute excess fertiliser and also help the roots recover and go deep for water and nutrients in the future and that will help it grow strong.  Water in hot or dry spells too.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw