Forum home Plants

Evergreen & fragrant shrub

AdRockAdRock Posts: 241
Hello, we’re looking for a nice evergreen shrub that will get to about fence height with fragrant blooms.

Would love to hear some suggestions!

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,374
    Daphne Eternal Fragrance is a good one but can be a bit temperamental. It's not a dense shrub but the fragrance is lovely. Likes partial shade, out of the wind, about 1.5 x 1.5 metres.
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • K67K67 Posts: 2,507
    Might find something here https://www.rhsplants.co.uk/search/_/search.scented-evergreen-shrubs/sort.0/ not all on the list are scented or evergreen though
    Daphne is nice but very slow growing.
    Sarcoccoa winter scent but not fast growing.

• PianoplayerPianoplayer Posts: 624
    Choisya fits the bill if it is a sunny spot.
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,700
    Abelia x Grandiflora is a hard working shrub if growing against a sheltered fence. The blooms do smell, but quite subtle. Daphne x Transatlantica Eternal Fragrance will take forever to get to any height. They are usually small shrubs in my experience.
  • My first thought would be Osmanthus. Both O. x burkwoodii and O. heterophyllus would fit the bill nicely. The first flowers in spring, the second in autumn. 
  • PosyPosy Posts: 3,601
    I love mahonia. Ours was in flower for months this year and wonderfully scented.
  • SophieKSophieK Posts: 244
    Daphne, Sarcococca, Choisyia, some rhododendrons but all not very fast growing
  • It depends upon the aspect and soil but I would be tempted to grow Trachelospermum jasminoides on the fence and have Philadelphus 'Belle Etoile' in the border. The philadelphus isn't evergreen but it has a beautiful scent. As it goes over, the evergreen trachelosperum should be coming into flower, giving you and extended period of fragrance for much of the summer. 

Daphne bholua 'Jacqueline Postil' is an upright, evergreen daphne and will attain the fence height far, far more quickly that Daphne transatlantica 'Eternal Fragrance'. Another option would be Daphne odora 'Aureomarginata' which will make a lovely rounded shrub over time, just not fence height.
  • AdRockAdRock Posts: 241
    Thank you all, great suggestions and ideas