Forum home Plants

Tree finally starting to flower but what is it?

ManderMander GatesheadPosts: 334
I've had this small mystery tree in the garden for a couple of years. It's never flowered and has looked quite sickly (last year it was infested with aphids) but I haven't gotten around to removing it yet. But it's finally starting to put out flower buds! Can anyone identify it now? Seems to be something in the general prunus category but no clue beyond that.

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    It could be a Bird Cherry, Prunus Padus.
  • ManderMander GatesheadPosts: 334
    That was what Google suggested. I suppose I can just let it flower and see what it looks like. It's still small enough that I can take it out if I don't like it. It's probably too close to the fence in any case but I was reluctant to kill it until I figured out what it was!
  • They get quite large. Personally I don’t like them—even during the one period they are reasonably attractive in flower, they smell horrible. If you’ve limited garden space, the best thing to do could be to give it away in the autumn and replant with something a bit more rewarding.
  • justflowersjustflowers Posts: 123
    They do get very large - we have one in the garden which was put in specifically to screen a particularly ugly farm building in the field next to our garden - which it does very well.  I would definitely move it from by the fence and either re-locate it or give it away to someone who needs to screen a neighbouring eyesore!