Forum home Plants

Toilet Rolls

Janie BJanie B LincolnshirePosts: 682
I have a surfeit of toilet rolls! I understand that they are ideal for sweet peas because of their long roots, but is there any reason I shouldn't sow other seeds in them? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 67,457
    I use them for runner beans too. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• EmerionEmerion Posts: 262
    Hello, the big difference that I have found with loo roll pots is that if they are packed together in a seed tray, for example, it’s easy for the whole lot to become a soggy mass if you’re not careful, because the cardboard holds on to water. If that happens, many seeds might suffer, including sweet peas to be honest. But if you’re good at keeping the compost just damp enough, it’s worth a go with anything. I saw a useful YouTube video on making square pots with folded-over bottoms from loo roll tubes. This makes them shorter, but still a decent depth, and easier to handle at planting out time, when you can just open-out the bottom. But it’s probably better to carefully cut away all of the cardboard because it will probably restrict the roots for quite a while. Search for Adam Leone “How to make toilet roll seed starters”.
  • B3B3 Posts: 16,586
    edited 1 April
    I was given a present of one of those things you use to make pots out of newspapers. I've never used it as I have industrial quantities of the plastic variety collected over the years
    A plastic pot amnesty would be good if they could find some way of redistributing them. last year I stood behind a bloke in a GC queue who was actually buying some new🙁
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • ErgatesErgates DevonPosts: 181
    Annoyingly, I’ve run out of plastic pots. Haven’t been been to the garden centre this past year, so no new plants to decant. All my old ones are currently occupied by various cuttings. Tiresome.
  • B3B3 Posts: 16,586
    Put a sign on your gate. I be you'll be inundated @Ergates😊
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 4,535
    Never had them go soggy, careful with the watering,stand them in something a bit deeper than a seed tray
  • Janie BJanie B LincolnshirePosts: 682
    Thanks, guys. I have had them go soggy, but am more careful with my watering now... I'll check out Adam Leone on Youtube, thanks @Emerion. I too have pretty much run out of small plastic pots too, @Ergates... I grew so many tomato, courgette etc plants from seed last year, I seem to have given them all away! Am almost at the point of ordering some more small plants, just so I can get hold of some pots!
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 1,128
    I did some peas, dahlia and sweetcorn in loo rolls. All germinated and seem to be loving life. In fact the peas are doing too well and need planting out a little earlier than I wanted to.

I've now tried a few sunflowers and leeks to expand the experiment.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 8,278
    edited 2 April
    Crikey, nobody should be having to buy small plastic pots. At the local dump you can't move for the things. Use yogurt/ cream pots or trays that fruit come in - any plastic tub - punch some holes in the bottom with a knife if there are no holes already. Cut plastic milk bottles in half.

Cut up milk bottles also make for good plant markers.
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,257
    I have just put about 50 pots of various sizes on the “ help yourself “ table at the allotment. If they go I have more. I too wish you could return them to the garden centre.