Forum home Plants

Can potted dahlias go outside now?

munce28munce28 Posts: 1
Hi all

I brought some dahlia tubers recently and potted them up in some compost to prevent them drying out until I can plant outside once the risk of frost has passed. I brought them out of the garage this week in the nice weather and gave them a bit of water as the soil was really dry, not sure if that is right. I have left them outside all day/night the last few nights as there is no forecast of frost due, does anyone know if I can just leave them outside permanently now providing there’s no chance of frost? I live in the West Midlands if that’s relevant. 

Thanks for your help! 


  • Songbird-1Songbird-1 Posts: 3,998
    edited March 2021
    Hello @munce28 and welcome to the forum. My potted dahlia tubers are only just beginning to sprout. They are in the greenhouse. and I have started watering them too.I won't be planting any of them out until June time so there is no chance of frost. This time will give them the opportunity to put on good growth and develop a good root system and also keep the slugs away from them. They love dahlias! If yours have sprouted well already, you could perhaps start by hardening them off by putting them outside during the day and bringing them inside over night. I normally start this process during a may time ( weather permitting) and do it for a couple of weeks, Personally,  I think it is far too early to be planting them out now but others may advise you differently.( I am in the North East so still a little parky ). Good luck.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,195
    The forecast is for a cold spell. I would pop them back in the garage at night until it warms up.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,855
    I will be planting mine out in June,  the bigger they get in pots the better for the plant, gives them chance to fight of the slugs a bit.

    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,555
    Hiya and welcome to the Forum.
    Like @Lyn, I'm in Soft , mild Devon and I'd not put Dahlias out for several weeks yet. 
    Next week we're forecast a MAX of 5C and a MIN of 2C. Way too cold for th.em
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,436
    The last few nights have been +8 degrees (probably more in my garden) so probably OK. The next few days have overnight temperatures around zero forecast so you would definitely not want to leave them out. (Even if we do have a warm spell, as Lyn says be mindful of the damage a single slug could do to those young shoots, it's probably not worth it).
  • Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 993
    You're asking for trouble if you do.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,724
    Simple answer NO
  • Jsb.pondJsb.pond Posts: 12
    I haven’t started my dahlias yet - they’re still wrapped up in the garage. Usually I start them off mid to late March, but this cold spell of weather is difficult.  I only have plastic covered cloches to grow them in.  I have about 75 tubers and they are mostly for containers rather than the garden.  I will put them out at the weekend in cloches, I think, with fleece at the ready to tuck inside the greenhouses.  I’ve the same dilemma with seed growing as well
Sign In or Register to comment.